On behalf of the Southern African Society for Veterinary Epidemiology & Preventive Medicine we are pleased to invite you to the 18th Annual SASVEPM Congress to be held at the Forever Resort Warmbaths, in Bela-Bela Limpopo from 25-27 August 2021.
The Congress will be hosted as a Hybrid Event, comprising of both an in-person and a virtual congress.
Presenters of all accepted oral and/or poster presentations will be invited to present in person at the congress venue in Bela-Bela (Limpopo), or present virtually, while attendees will be encouraged to attend the congress virtually.
This SASVEPM Congress’ new flexible hybrid format will enable us to safeguard our members’ well-being and facilitate your participation wherever you are based, while at the same serving you with access to valuable online discussions within our society.
The congress will be held under the theme “Creative animal health solutions for sustainable economic growth”.
Our region is currently facing diseases challenges, which has led us to rethink the way disease surveillance and control has been conducted in the past half a century or so. Epidemiologically sound disease surveillance and control methods that used to suffice have now become null and void. Why? Pathogens seem to be a step ahead of us in their adaptive means. The current corona virus outbreak in Asia is a classic example. Locally Foot and Mouth Disease and African Swine Fever are good examples that diseases neither read books nor respect borders/zones.
Land use and farming practices coupled with climate change have been drifting over the years yet our approach to disease control has remained the same, relatively.
To stay abreast, we need new cutting-edge insights and innovative methods for the control of challenging trade sensitive transboundary, endemic, emerging and re-emerging animal diseases that we are faced with in Southern Africa. Therefore, our focal point this year is innovative methods and solutions for sustained disease control in a One Health approach for economic stability and growth. We are looking forward to your abstract submissions in the same ballpark with this year’s theme.
SASVEPM 2021 is honoured to have Professor Mark Rweyemamu (Executive Director, SACIDS Foundation for One Health) who is a One Health and surveillance economics guru, Professor Folorunso Oludayo Fasina (Country Team Leader, ECTAD-FAO) a transboundary animal diseases wunderkind and Professor Mary-Louise Penrith (Extraordinary Professor, University of Pretoria), a renowned biosecurity and biosafety expert.
We look forward to providing the opportunity for participants to share, discuss and debate research findings in the Bread and Fruit Basket of South Africa, Limpopo Province.
Dr Nelson Matekwe
The theme for this year’s annual congress is: “Creative animal health solutions for sustainable economic growth”. The sub-themes are:
- Antimicrobial resistance and residues
- Disease prevention and control
- One Health in Epidemiology
- Animal Health and Economics
- Biosecurity, surveillance and traceability
We encourage abstract submissions related to disease surveillance economics, outbreak investigations, antimicrobial resistance, disease control, policy, public health and diagnostics and case reports within the suggested themes. However, we also welcome submissions within the broader field of epidemiology and preventative medicine as our members have a wide base of interest.
We welcome all submissions and look forward to providing the best platform for our members’ ongoing contribution to the field of epidemiology and preventative medicine.
- The deadline for abstract submissions is Monday 31 May 2021.
- Guidelines for abstract submissions for epidemiologic studies can be found at: STROBE. Abstracts will be screened and selected according to these guidelines.
- Click here to download the Abstract Submission Form.
- Please submit your abstracts, on the abstract form, to the Congress Organisers through e-mail to Corné Engelbrecht at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Abstracts can be submitted for consideration either as oral or poster presentations. Please adhere to the instructions on the form.
- Delegates wishing to submit more than one abstract must please complete a separate form for each abstract.
- Abstracts are limited to 350 words/1xA4 page.
- Include 3-5 keywords.
- Please ensure that the e-mail addresses as submitted are correct as these addresses will be used in all correspondence and acceptance notifications.
- Abstract to be accompanied by a one (1) page curriculum vitae (CV) of the presenting author
- Late submissions will not be considered.
- Oral presentations will be allocated 15 minutes plus 5 minutes for discussion.
- Poster sessions form an integral part of the congress, and posters will be displayed on poster boards for the duration of the congress. Poster presenters are requested to stand at their posters during tea breaks.
We strongly advise all participants travelling to South Africa to check the relevant visa requirements and to apply for their visa at least 2 months in advance of the congress.
It is the participant’s responsibility to obtain the appropriate visa and the secretariat is unable to intervene in the process.
Accommodation has been reserved at Forever Resort Warmbaths. Room rates of R1,345.00 per person per night (bed & breakfast) has been negotiated for all participants of the congress. Please quote reference SASVEPM when making your accommodation booking.
Accommodation Options – please note that due to Covid-19 sharing of rooms will be restricted.
- Standard Hotel Room with one double bed and bathroom with shower (no bath), toilet and basin – single accommodation only. Limited rooms available.
- One Bedroom 2 Sleeper Chalet: Main bedroom with double bed. Lounge and fully equipped kitchen, bathroom with shower only.
We have negotiated the following rates at the Forever Resort Warmbaths, based on bed & breakfast:
– R1,345 single accommodation (chalet or Hotel)
Above rates include bed & breakfast at the Spur Restaurant on the Resort.
Accommodation bookings should be made directly with the Forever Resort Warmbaths by contacting Jessica Masemola on 014 736 8509 or email email@example.com.
Forever Resorts Aventura Warmbaths is situated within easy reach of Johannesburg and Pretoria on the N1 highway to Polokwane in the Limpopo Province.
TRADE EXHIBITORS & SPONSORSHIPS
For Sponsorship packages, tailor made options, or to book your exhibition space at the congress, contact the Congress Secretariat: Corné Engelbrecht at firstname.lastname@example.org